“The Bridge” first started on the road in 1949. The new circuit above Sag Harbor opened in 1957. A fast and fearsome track, it hosted all the big SCCA and later World Sportscar Championship, USRRC and Can-Am,Pro races. Its last big event was a Camel GT race in 1971. The land became super valuable and while holding a few small regionals, the Bridge closed for good in 1998.
It is now a golf course but the Chevron bridge and a part of the course are still there. Bucher won twice in 1960 with the RSK and in the Lola in '66. Sherm Decker raced USRRC in the Lola and the Cooper. Lots of BARC members raced the bridge; Oscar Kovaleski, Charley Kurtz, Bob Leitzinger, Alan Friedland, Buzz Marcus, Dick Grime and others.
The young ones visited in '60, '61 and '65 driving through Long Island duck farms. Development killed the farms even before The Bridge gave way.